Blogging is fun no doubt about it. And WordPress makes it more fun with all the cool stuff that you can do with your blog. The possibilities are endless. You can write about whatever you want, be as open or anonymous as you want, change your name, make yourself a super hero, chat with people from countries whose name you can;t pronounce, make friends with amazing people whom you probably never would even have bumped into in a crowded anywhere….endless…
There’s no such thing as too much fun…or shouldn’t;t be anyways. Except at the State Fair…cotton candy, elephant ears, funnel cakes and tilt-a-whirl can sometimes really be too much fun…but I digress.
As with every part of your life, fun or not, balance is the key and letting one area take over too much of your life could be a problem. WordPress is no different. No really. It isn’t.
We all have periods where we are glued to our blogs and that’s ok as long as it swings back into balance and doesn;t disrupt everything else. To help you find out whether you might be spending just a little tad bit too much time, or letting WordPress dominate your life consider the following…..
- You constantly hit refresh to see if there are any new notifications and respond instantly to every comment.
- You consider it a productive day when you have topped your best day stats – even though there are dishes in the sink clothes in the washer and you are still in your pj’s at 6 pm
- You tell people who call or your kids when they want something that you are “working” and mustn’t be interrupted..
- You start to feel happy Sunday around 5 pm because all of your WP buddies will be checking in before they go to bed after being fairly scarce all weekend.
- You actually look forward to work because you have better computers or peace from kids. spouse, pets etc or an office where you can close the door and pretend like you are “working” to your heart’s content while secretly blogging and chatting with WP buddies.
- After publishing a post, you wait. Staring at the screen.
- You stop referring to blogging and WP as a time-suck and consider anything that takes you away from it – the real time-suck instead.
- Your Significant Other has to sign up for a blog of their own just to get any meaningful conversation out of you.
- When in the REAL WORLD – you are telling some of you friends about your blogging buddies except you aren’t telling them they are blogging buddies you simply say “Oh my friend LotsONuts – had something like that happen just the other day…I was so worried”….and don’t even pause when they give you weird looks.
- At the end of lecturing your kids you wonder what your word count was.
- You get a little miffed when your blogging pals are talking about what they are doing for the weekend and how much fun they are going to have and they don’t invite you to come along – 8,000 miles away…
- You speak fluent emoticon.
- You get a great idea and think of how many links you would need to do to and how it all intertwines with everything else….
- You jokingly refer to yourself as a stats whore and don’t find anything weird about it.
- When someone tells you to use Word – you automatically think Word Press.
- When bored and lonely – you go looking for a game of tag or some other fun interaction – on WP.
- You keep a list of random fun facts about yourself for those times when you get awards and tagged and all the other things that require – random fun facts.
- While recalling a story – you have a sense of de ja vu and can;t figure out if you have blogged about this or were just thinking about it.
- In the real world when introducing yourself you use your user name and when someone asks you where you are from you say the name of your blog on WordPress.
- You click on posts that give you signs of being too into the whole blogging thing, like this one, and hold your breath the whole way through until you see if only identifying with 15 of the 20 is cause for concern.
If you recognized yourself in any of these., I don;t know what to tell you. To my knowledge there isn’t a WPA yet, but maybe we should start one. RIght here on WordPress. As a blog. Yea.
Lizzie Cracked (not broken) and blogging away in denial….just kidding I got a handle on it…what? I DO!
- What is WordPress? (stevenscottstudio.wordpress.com)
- I’ve got a WordPress! (whenineedinspiring.wordpress.com)
- Getting More Site Traffic – Support – WordPress.com (electroniccommunication.wordpress.com)
- Coming Soon: The WP Ultimate Theme Framework for WordPress (clixto7.com)