I blacked out my blog today and was struck by the extreme frustration of being….silenced? While I chose to black it out to get the message across, I fought the urge to unblock it during the day and thought about what if one day I came to write and found the black out imposed by someone else and beyond my control. I managed to leave the blackout in effect,
but If I was not given the choice –
or I came to a blog I liked and it was gone –
I would probably go nuts – the helpless feeling like when your cell phone goes off and you have no way to contact anyone or tell anyone why you can’t – only worse.
We take our freedoms for granted until they are threatened and yet there are so many who have not the freedom we do.
Someone asked me once if I could even imagine a life without Google – my reply was that yes I had actually lived quite a bit of my life without Google so it wasnt far out of the realm of thought.
And I have only been blogging a few short months so I can imagine life without this too…
But I can’t imagine having this and having it taken away...well even that would be adaptable eventually if there was no internet or techno stuff period for some weird reason but what if it was here…just like now only somebody had the power to decide what you should or shouldn’t be able to see….
What if you were shut down for no given reason – just because somebody could. That’s a scary world that I don’t want to live in…even the insidious sneaky way it is being presented is alarming – like a good thing… And it may look shiny but it smells rotten.
Can you even imagine?
- The SOPA Blackout… (lehsys.com)
- Wikipedia goes black as 24 hour-long Blackout Commences (onlygizmos.com)
- Websites Hold 24-Hour Blackout to Protest SOPA and PIPA (pamil-visions.net)
- Going Dark For SOPA/PIPA (eoghann.com)
- How Google (and maybe Wikipedia) won the anti-SOPA/PIPA campaign for the Internet (dylanmclemore.com)
- Thoughts on Wikipedia’s SOPA/PIPA blackout (likeabanana.wordpress.com)
- US Congress: Please don’t censor the WEB! (dinmerican.wordpress.com)
- MiddBlog “Blacks Out” to support the anti-SOPA movement (midd-blog.com)