I was thinking….
No no wait... I know that sometimes leads to weird random streams of consciousness in the form of bumper cars that usually leave you – and me – sitting in stunned silence and completely confused. It happens I admit it but it wasn’t that kind of thinking.
This was very pointed and focused thinking - if you would like to mark it on your calendars…. I will wait a minute.
My Grandbaby Mama and I went to the mall today fora short jaunt.. I know you all know her name now so from here on out I will refer to her by her given name but I thought that one up the other day when I was considering the things I call my kids in my posts. It’s usually just their age but with her I had thought of adjectives as well, especially during the last weeks of her pregnancy and just wanted to try it out .. once.
Ok, so Lauren and I went to the mall to go to the bookstore and then, of course we couldn’t just go home. It was a mall for gosh sakes and the two of us don’t get out enough, so we go a little nuts when we do. We brought Little Monkey Man with us and he started the odoriferous part by finally pooping after a day of struggling…. really big and stinky. But as far as being relevant to the rest of the post – it has nothing to do with it, I just like to share these small joys with all of you :-)
While heading towards the exit, after getting coffee we decided – ok I decided – I wanted to go to Bath and Body Works and see what they had new. It’s not like I had to twist her arm or anything.
I am a creature of….no not habit…well maybe a little but …but… sensory perceived existence. That sounds pretty cool huh? I just made it up. At least I think I did. What I mean by it is my perception of the world is very much formed by my senses as opposed to …. logic..rational thought? or whatever?
I can see where that might go in a tangential direction so I will just get to the point of what I am saying.
I like Bath and Body works because I like to smell good. For a reasonable amount of money. Although I am not a creature of habit as much as some are, I do like to wear the same scent everyday because scent is a very identifying sense. My very favorite perfume… very very favorite is Chanel #5 and I would wear it everyday but I tend to like to try new things and when I just paid $200 for the perfume and lotion, I tend to feel guilty if I want to indulge in some other scent. I haven’t paid that kind of money for perfume for a long long time.
I miss my Chanel, but Bath & Body Works has provided me an affordable outlet for my scenting needs that I can change anytime I want to. I like to buy the three for $10 minis in any new scent I think I like because I get so overwhelmed with all the smells going on in there, and I have once or twice come home with a full size of something and wondered what the hell I like about it the next day. I also can carry the spray in my purse and if I like the smell enough that I run out quickly, I have no problem spending the extra money for the full size.
They have this buy 2 get one free or buy 3 get 2 free promotionthat gets me really confused because when you do the buy 2 get 1 free and they have the 3 in the bag, they say “are you sure you don’t want to go pick out 2 more for free?” And I am like “oh yeah I got the 3 so now I get 2 free and of course I do”…why wouldn’t I? But here is the catch… if you go get the 2 additional ones, the end price is not what the sales lady just rang up because they have to add another item to get the 2 free items. She only rang up 2 because I was going for the buy 2 get 1 free. They trick me every time. I can’t be the only one this happens to …..right?
I had a particularly difficult time today because I have not been shopping since Christmas and they have a whole slew of new scents. I could not decide between about 10 of them because each had a note or hint or burst or whatever the words they use for perfume are of something that I liked ,but not one was “just right” perfectly Lizzie… and of course that would make sense as they don’t know what would be perfectly Lizzie. I have been successful in the past with mixing some scents, but then when I hit the right mix – I forgot how I made it. I am not very scientific on stuff like this I kinda just wing it.
So I had an idea because I was thinking of the different elements I would take from each of the scents I liked to create my perfect blend and how if I was some sort of celebrity, someone would have already asked me to create it..
and I said to myself, ” Self what if you were and they did?”
And because now I am curious, I thought I would pose the question to all of you too. In the form of a challenge… because it is kind of challenging to think up what would constitute a scent that says…..Me. Or you in this case.
So here are the questions, and you can answer in the comments, or on your own post and link back and there might be a prize for the winner. Maybe I will compile the top 5 or 10 and let you, the readers, decide. The winner will be the one with the most appealing sounding scent that matches their perception of themselves and then presents it in a marketable way. Or the most creative… I haven’t got that far yet but as with any challenge, let’s not take ourselves too seriously and have a little fun, although I am honestly interested in everyone’s answers.
You are not limited to something that already smells (vanilla for example) as an addition to your scent. In fact if it doesn’t and you can make it… it probably will be a winner. First the questions and then I will give you my answers. Guys it would be really fun if you would do this as your manly scent but I will also consider creating the perfect scent for your other half a good entry and while it may be easier to do that as there are less MANLY things that are smelly….no wait, that smell good… ah you know what I mean right? I think the really creatively unique answers might be from the men – necessity being the mother of invention or something like that. Maybe that if there is an equal number of guys and girls I can do one of each.
- What are the traits about yourself that you would like to convey in the Eu de you perfume?
- When you think of these traits, what scents come to mind?
- So give us a formula for your perfect scent.
- What colors do you associate with it?
- What forms would you offer it in?
- How would you package it?
- And very important what would you name it?
The challenge ends Friday at 3 pm.
And here is my offering:
1. Playful, deep, earthy, crazy, quixotic, bright, dark, (kinda covers the bipolar without saying bipolar ) soft, strong, clean.
2. Sandlewood, patchouli, sunshine, line dried linens, ivory soap, fire, jasmine, daisies, nutty, citrus
3. The base note would be a mix of Sandlewood and hazel Nuts, Hints of fire, line dried linens, a splash each of jasmine and daisies, two bursts of sunshine and a top note of ….cool beans.. No! a top note of Zest! (not the soap the peel)
4. Deep purple, turquoise, light buttery yellow, red. bit of brown.
5. Body wash, Lotion, Powder (with a puff) Body spray and shimmery stuff. And bar soap. And Laundry detergent. It;s all about the layering..ayering s important. Lasts longer and gets in everything and says “Lizzie was here!” in an understated barely discernible whiff though not the cloud that weighs down.
6. Mini sizes for travel and easy daytime freshening. And full size but not in any prepackaged sets. Mix and match and a cool ass tote bag to put it in when its done. OH the bottle for the perfume would be tall and curvy with a silver top and a swirly thing on it that;s it.
7. I would name it: Eu de Je Ne Sais Quoi eu LizzieC... or Cool Beans,
and yes I meant Eu de NOT Eau de
And the promised bonus…..
Any of you wanting to know the answers on the Best Liar Award Post - Numbers 1, 2 and 3 were true. Numbers 4 and 5 were acceptable as true or false and number 6 is false. I hate socks unless my feet are really cold and I sleep with my feet sticking out from under the blankets.
SO if you answered close – which some of you really did in fact there was one that was dead on except in saying true or false….go ahead and do your own Best Liar Post. :-)
As Always, :-)
Lizzie Cracked (not broken)
- Lovely Floral Spring Scents (youngmodernlady.wordpress.com)
- Excersise the Senses: Smell (alexandraroman.com)
- New from Bath and Body Works: Fine Fragrance Mists (myhighestself.wordpress.com)
- Lady Gaga New Perfume To Have A Scent ‘That You’ll Never Forget’ (ksfm.radio.com)
- Smell Good, Naturally: How to Make Solid Perfume (treehugger.com)
- [TheGloss] Scent Of The Week: For When You’re Rebounding After A Break-Up (thegloss.com)
- Value For Money, Quality and Other Perfume Musings (boisdejasmin.typepad.com)